Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

Memory Monday -- First Halloween

In the spirit of Halloween, I have been thinking about the first Halloween I remember. I can't believe how quickly time passes, and how sketchy memory can be. So just going to describe what I remember about that day.

We woke up early - it was a sunny day with some clouds. I remember thinking about how blue the sky was, and then I leapt off of the chair and danced to Barney. It had to be like 7:30 in the morning, and my brothers woke up just after that. We put together our chicken limbo game and ran around like drunk chickens together around the hallway (it was an open floor plan, the dining room had a door into the hall, and was connected to the parlor with just an opening, and the parlor also had a door into the hallway, where the limbo was.

I remember going to play in our room for a while - I had one of those plastic little Tyke dollhouses that was painted sickly blue and pink.
Not my photo; courtesy of dolldiaries.com
I got tired of it pretty quickly as I never was a real doll kinda girl. and then played cars with my two younger brothers. Then we jumped on the bed for a while. My mother woke up shortly after, sometime at 9:30. She was almost always up by then, but if she wasn't we never bothered to wake her up. The house was mostly kid-proofed, looking back, so we weren't in any immediate danger thankfully. I was a smart 4 year old, too smart...I knew how to put my shows on TV and how to push a chair to the cabinet to get a cup to get a drink. Basic morning needs fulfilled. My mother gave us cereal after she woke up, yelled at us for not waking her up, and told us that we aren't allowed to play without supervision. Our little minds were like "FRUIT LOOOOOOPS" nevermind "Wake ma up."

We ate and played some more. My aunt stopped by at like 11 AM and tried to get us to color and play but we wouldn't have it. She had to leave a while later to go do errands or something, I don't remember why she had to go. We then pulled out all of the books from our bookcase.

Anyways, next thing thing I remember, cue suppertime.  We refused to eat dinner, because we knew we were trick or treating and were getting candy. My mother tried everything from cheese and crackers to peanut butter and jelly to cereal, but we wouldn't budge. After that we got our costumes on...except I threw a fit. I didn't want to be a ninja! I didn't want to be a witch! I didn't want to be a genie! Okay, I guess the Glinda costume would do. I think my youngest brother was Baby Bop from Barney that year. I don't remember what our middle brother was.

I forget who took me trick or treating that night - my mother or my aunt. But we went with the upstairs neighbor and her son, who was a year older, Anthony. It was cute and I had a little-girl crush on him. He was a biker that year for Halloween. We went trick-or-treating inside a mall somewhere, but I don't remember anything about it. Just being so embarrassed by the way everyone was "awwing" over me and Anthony. I just liked my friend, and wanted to trick-or-treat, not take pictures.

I remember eating some candy when I got home, and then being so tired I just conked out after pulling my costume off. I think I was 4 years old that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment