Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

DIY Bathroom Cleaner

In our quest to eliminate more and more chemicals in our daily lives, I've been trying to ditch the big wigs in the household - cleaning chemicals. I scoured the crunchy net for recipes and DIYs for one that I thought would be simple and effective. This is what I came up with.

DIY Bathroom Cleaner

1/3 cup of baking soda
1 tea to tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar (enough to make it a slightly foamy paste)
2 Tablespoons of Castile soap or liquid dish detergent (I used Dawn)
5-7 drops of Sandalwood (or other) Essential oil

Mix into a paste, and use. 


I chose Sandalwood because we've been having problems with Ghost Ants and can't seem to find out where they're coming from, although they are almost exclusively in the bathroom. So far, I haven't seen any since I cleaned with this solution as Sandalwood is supposed to be a natural insect repellent (bonus since it's my husband's favorite scent!) I scrubbed with this solution for over an hour and a half. It was used on mirrors, the counter, toothbrush holders, soap holders, in the tub, the toilet, and the floor. Everything. It didn't bother my hands, the smell was delicious, and it got everything sparkling clean. Honestly, our toilet was rank. We just moved in and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it was put in. It was yellow (and very gross to clean). That sucker now sparkles. The paste didn't turn out to be a lot, a little goes a long way. The recipe above was all I needed to clean my entire bathroom.

I think this is a recipe I will be using in the kitchen as well, I even tested it in our sink and it worked very well. I am so very happy with how it turned out.


** I know about the controversy of cleaning with baking soda and vinegar together. Mixing them does negate some of the antibacterial properties, but it is still worth it to mix them when making cleaners in my opinion. Use a bit of water or something else to substitute if you feel that you don't want to mix them.

No comments:

Post a Comment