Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A First Pinterest Project - Oobleck

As M is now old enough to enjoy sensory play, I decided to go with some Oobleck, also known as goop and "silly slime" among other things. I made it as a child and really enjoyed playing in it. It's supposed to work a bit like quick sand, where it is extremely liquidy if you have it in your hands, but it solidifies in a container; if you stick your fingers in it is harder to pull them out.

Because M is only 13 months, I wanted it to be a little less "sticky" so that it wasn't awful to clean up. So instead of the traditional recipe I altered it a bit.


Oobleck Recipe

  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups of Flour (my alteration)
  • 2 cups of Corn Starch
  • 2 cups Water
  • Marker Ink (my alteration)

In the original recipe, you are supposed to use only corn starch. I diluted it with flour to keep it from being too sticky. I estimated my cups so use your own discretion when diluting it. Also, the original recipe calls for food coloring, which we were out of. I search for substitutes on Google, and someone said that they successfully substituted food coloring with marker ink diluted in water. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me, and it ran right off the Oobleck and into the drain. 

Because I didn't want to spend two hours mopping, wiping, and bathing M, I just let her play with it in the bathtub. It was perfect, and it was 5 minutes total of clean up!!

Anyways, here are some pictures of her playing in it. She LOVED it! The pictures are not great quality because the bathroom has virtually no natural light.

~Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment